Smart Solar Greenhouse Grows Healthy Crops

Step aside, fossil fuels — everyone is going solar. With eco-houses and trains now on the market, we might as well redesign as much as we can into solar. This is where electricity-generating greenhouses are stepping in.

Electricity-generating solar greenhouses utilize Wavelength-Selective Photovoltaic Systems (WSPVs), a novel technology that generates electricity more efficiently and at less cost than traditional photovoltaic systems… WSPVs absorb some of the blue and green wavelengths of light but let the rest through, allowing the plants to grow.

In testing a variety of plant species, researchers at UC Santa Cruz found that 80% remained unaffected by changes. The remaining 20%? They actually grew better under the building’s bright magenta windows.

“If greenhouses generate electricity on site, that reduces the need for an outside source, which helps lower greenhouse gas emissions even more,” said [professor Michael] Loik. “We’re moving toward self-sustaining greenhouses.”

The greenhouse uses 5% less water — a success, taking into account that greenhouses occupy 9 million acres of land. And just when you thought things couldn’t get any better, the system costs 40% less than traditional means. Clearly, percentages have demonstrated a win-win situation for these buildings, which will hopefully bring users 100% satisfaction.

--> Help make the world a better place by sharing this story with your friends:

China Builds Air Purification Tower To Reduce Smog

In its last-ditch effort to combat smog with air-purifying bicycles, China has moved onto greater endeavors. Ensuing a promise to plant an Ireland-sized forest, Shaanxi province is tackling air pollution head-on with a giant air purifier.

The system works through greenhouses covering about half the size of a soccer field around the base of the tower.

Polluted air is sucked into the glasshouses and heated up by solar energy. The hot air then rises through the tower and passes through multiple layers of cleaning filters.

Since its recent launch, the 100-meter edifice has produced over 10 million cubic meters of clean air. As one of the most heavily-polluted regions in China, Xian is the perfect guinea pig for purifying technology. The gargantuan spire is still experimental, but may soon swarm the nation.

“It barely requires any power input throughout daylight hours. The idea has worked very well in the test run,” [said head of research Cao Junji.]

Cao’s full-size tower will span 500 meters. If its dwarfed prototype remains as promising as it seems, sunset-gazing in China may just become a popular weekend activity.

--> Help make the world a better place by sharing this story with your friends:

Pest-Sniffing Dog Keeps Greenhouses Safe

As of late, dogs have been a great service both to humans and the environment. Whether participating in search-and-rescue missions or restoring entire forests, we can no longer underestimate man’s best friend. Just now stepping into the spotlight is Chili the Belgian shepherd, who has become the world’s first certified insect-detector.

“Chili is the newest member of our scouting team … she’s a registered working dog trained to find pepper weevil,” said Cam Lyons, an integrated pest management scout at NatureFresh. “As far as we know, she’s the only one in the world looking for this pest in a greenhouse.”

At only two-years-old, Chili has big shoes (or paws) to fill, as she is responsible for protecting an entire population of bell peppers. NatureFresh’s decision to fight destructive bugs with canines stemmed from a desire not to use harmful pesticides.

“We start on the outside of the greenhouse actually, I’ll take her and we’ll search the perimeter of the greenhouses,” said Tina Heide… Chili’s handler. “I’ll have her sniff out walls, sniff our floors, we do skids like packing crates, boxes anything we come across.”

Considering the highly effective detection skills of most dogs, greenhouses may want to consider hiring a four-legged farmer.

--> Help make the world a better place by sharing this story with your friends: